San Antonio Taco Restaurants - "Taquerias"
San Antonio could be the "taco capital of the world" if you ask any of our residents. The truth be told, there are probably more tacos consumed in San Antonio than any other food available in the Alamo city. San Antonians are used to having tacos for breakfast, lunch and dinner and because there are so many different kinds, tacos are meals that you never get tired of.
Texas Monthly Taco Restaurants
The authority for restaurant recommendations in the state of Texas has always been Texas Monthly. The October, 2006 issue outlines "The 63 Tacos You Must Eat Before You Die". Nine of the tacos they recommend are in San Antonio. Keep in mind that these recommendations are for tacos eaten at lunch or dinner. They don't include breakfast tacos and in San Antonio, finding a taco for breakfast is much easier than finding a glazed donut. Our suggestions for breakfast tacos follow the recommendations from Texas Monthly.
- 2. Tilapia - Rosario's - 910 South Alamo
- 8. Carne Asada Gringa - Taquito's El Guero - 3016 West Commerce
- 11. Chicken Campesinos - La Fogata - 2427 Vance Jackson
- 14. El Norteno - Taco Taco - 145 East Hildebrand
- 16. Beef Fajita - Mi Tierra - 218 produce Row (in El Mercado)
- 18. Chicken and Guacamole - Tito's - 955 South Alamo
- 54. Pork Al Pastor - Beto's - 8142 Broadway
- 58. Barbacoa - El Milagrito - 521 East Woodlawn
- 62. Fried Oyster - Acenar - 146 East Houston
San Antonio Breakfast Taco Restaurants
Necessities in San Antonio are none more important than breakfast tacos which is why we've added our own take on taco's and where to find them...in the morning.
- Barbacoa Tacos- I have to go with Taco Cabana. I know it's a chain but the barbacoa tacos here are all meat and that's what I like. The barbacoa is moist and flavorful with just the right amount of grease. Barbacoa tacos need to have the right amount of grease, in case you didn't know. And with Taco Cabana restaurants all over town, it's easy to get one of their barbacoa tacos.
- Chorizo and Egg Tacos - Actually, the best chorizo and egg tacos come from any restaurant or kitchen that uses Kiolbassa brand chorizo. Kiolbassa brand chorizo is the best tasting chorizo anywhere. Period.
- Carne Guisada Tacos - Tac Iza on 410 and North New Braunfels (next to Chester's Hamburgers) has great breakfast tacos but their carne guisada tacos take the lead in San Antonio. It's tender and a bit spicy but surely has our vote.
- Puffy Tacos - The best puffy tacos I've ever had are at Ana's Mexican Restaurant on highway 181 South just before Loop 1604 on the southbound side of 181. I know it's not a breakfast taco but these puffy tacos deserve mention. The ingredients are great but the "puffy" part of the taco is outrageously good and homemade.
Other Favorite Taco Restaurants
- Taqueria Vallarta - Several locations in San Antonio with an extensive menu but they have excellent tacos for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The drive thru takes a while but I think that's because they make everything fresh. Awesome chorizo and egg and their cheese is the real (not processed) stuff. And they use a lot of it.